Home Page

Whitchurch CE Infant & Nursery School

What are the different types of support available for my child?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.


For your child this would mean:


• The teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.

• All teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do or understand.

• Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in the classroom. This may involve things like using more practical learning.

• Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENDCO or outside agencies) are in place to support your child to learn.

• Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a barrier to their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them to make the best possible progress.


All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed.


Specific group work within a smaller group of children.


This group, often called catch up programmes or intervention groups by school, may be:


• Run in the classroom or outside.

• Run by a teacher or teaching assistant who has been trained to run these groups.

For your child this would mean:

• Your child will engage in planned and reviewed group sessions with specific targets to help them to make more progress.

This type of support is available for any child who has barriers or gaps in their learning and understanding.



Specialist groups or one to one work run by specialist teaching assistants or outside professionals e.g. Speech and Language therapy, Occupational therapy, ASD Outreach Team, Learning Support Advisory Teacher etc.


For your child this would mean:


• Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENDCO or you will have raised worries, as needing more specialist input in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.

• You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.

• You would be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional. This will help the school and you understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.

• The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

o Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspect of teaching to support them better.

o Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise.

o A group run by a specialist teaching assistant in school under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. Cool Kids, speech and language therapy, social skills group.

o A group or individual work with an outside professional.

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in the classroom. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put into place.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention.


Specified individual 1-1 support


This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by a professional as needing a particular high level of individual teaching.


To request an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).


• The school/ or other professionals, or yourself can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

• After  the request has been sent to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC Plan). If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. . (Very few children need an EHCP).


• After the reports have been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more than 20 hours of support in school to make good progress. If this is the case, they will issue an EHC Plan based on the advice they have recieved. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the targeted support they are providing. 

• The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how the support will be used and what strategies will be put into place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.


This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

o Severe, complex and lifelong

o Needs more than 20 hours of support in school.